Monday, September 1, 2008

Does age really matter?

The first time I really became aware of age was when I was about 10 or 12. I remember having this realization that my parent were OLD - they were in their 40's - this of course made my grandparents in their 60's. I remember this moment so clearly thinking wow...I wonder if I'll ever be that old. I remember wanting to be 18 so badly so that I could move out and have my own life but I sure didn't want to be in my 40's.

As I laid in bed this morning listening to the planes rattle this house (I'm house and dog sitting over near the airport) I thought...Jesus....I'm in my 40's....getting closer to 50 everyday...wow. It also seems that as I get older people around me seem to get younger. I don't feel old and the people I hang with don't seem to mind my age but when you really thing about it...I'm old.

Does age really matter? I mean does it really make any difference in the way people communicate or connect? It's more about how you feel with the other person...right? But if you don't have anything in common then I guess age does really matter. Sure there is a certain maturity and calmness that comes with age but I've met some young people that seem to have that as well....so it's hard to say. I just don't want to BE old.

There is a difference between being old and becoming old. Age is really just the # of birthdays you have and becoming old is more in the way you act and portraty yourself. I love that people don't beleive I am as old as I am. It gives me great joy but it doesn't change the fact that it's hard to get past the fact that I have been around a long time and it's probably my own issues with my own age that limits me. I realize alot of the limits are self imposed but they are still limits. My 5 year old nephew has now reached the age where he stops running into my open arms whenever I arrive - he also hates to give you a hug as well. I've accepted this from my 15 year old nephew, even though I still grab him and hug him much to his dismay, I don't accept it from my 5 year old nephew. Man - it kinds blows to get old.

1 comment:

Schnoodler said...

You do not look like you're 50. :)