Tuesday, September 16, 2008

You don't have to be thin to be gorgeous


at least that's what Oprah says.....and Oprah is a God! I can hardly wait each month for her magazine, I love it. She is smart, funny and really seems to know what women need to hear. I so want to be her when I grow up!
Funny though.....society sort of makes us feel like thin is in...you are only worthy of being loved if you are a skinny thing. My grandma used to have a saying that I didn't really understand at the time but I really adore it now. She used to say "don't nobody want skin and bones but a dog and they just bury them" - such wise words. Of course she is the same woman that used to tell me that if she could fill my nose with nickels she'd be rich so I guess take it for what it's worth.
Maybe it's the change in season or something in the air but lately it seems people have been asking me more and more about my "skinny" friends. Is she seeing anyone, will she go out with me? Ask her if she wants to have lunch with me...and worst of all to see them moon over these girls, who by the way they have NO shot at...jesh! What is the attraction to a skinny girl anyway? I mean come on...they are tiny, they mostly don't eat, and honestly.....what is so attractive about all that? I realize I'll never be a magazine cover model but I am a pretty good conversationalist, I like to go out to eat and I am not afraid to just be me...why isn't that attractive? I don't get it. Maybe because I'm on the other side but really....stop asking me if my skinny friends are available!
Oprah says anyone can be gorgeous if you dress right...I guess I can see that. I know when I have on the right outfit I feel pretty darn good. Especially the right outfit with the right pair of shoes....if I could only get my hair to cooperate I'd be a rock star. I don't know that I have the income to dress like that but it's fun when you can find a deal.
Last night I was grocery shopping (because I don't have a wife and I have to) and I was noticing how many men grocery shop. I don't know that I really ever noticed that before but it seemed like there were a lot of men doing the shopping...how does that work? I got the giggles in the frozen meal section because there was this man who was like a blue collar worker (I imagined he was an auto mechanic or a construction worker) he was staring intently into the frozen pizza cooler with this completely deep in thought face like "do I want deluxe or just sausage? Do I want the all organic veggie soy cheese low carb pizza or the greasy meaty pizza." Ha ha...I then saw him in the cereal aisle with a similar look trying to figure out what cereal to purchase.
It's hard to make decisions on your own....at least food wise. I always have issues. I really need a wife...or at least someone to do the cooking and cleaning for me. I wonder if Oprah has an article on that.

2 comments:

TT. said...

I didn't know you had any skinny friends.

:-)

Schnoodler said...

I would like to have sex with them too. If they are taking reservations.