Monday, September 22, 2008

Life lessons learned in the oddest places

Life is so short...we all know that. You got to live each day like it's your last. Eat dessert first. Say what you mean, mean what you say. All good things to keep in mind as we navigate our lives. Sometimes one learns life lessons in the most random places. Like in a dressing room trying on a new hot pink bra.

Some people feel like they are soooo important that everyone must bear witness to the madness that is their own life. The other day I decided it was time for new undergarments....yeah it's a splurge purchase because who really wants to spend money on something on one really see's? Well until it's hanging out at the wrong times but mostly no one sees it. So I decide it was time to get the girls up where they belong so I go off on my adventure. As I was in the fitting room trying on my possible new purchases these two ladies in the room next to me were discussing their current "issues" and got me to thinking. At what cost do we give up ourselves all for the possibility of being loved by another?

They were talking about going out and girl A was saying she was really stressed because her boy hasn't worked in almost 3 months but according to their conversation they spend pretty much every weekend getting trashed and fighting. She was sick of supporting him and his two kids from a previous relationship and she had half a mind to quit her 2nd job. So what I gathered is she works 2 jobs to support him and his two kids. Friend B was telling her she should get out and meet someone new. Umm, how exactly is that going to work if boyfriend and his two kids are staying with you?

My immediate thought was wow...they are so young, they have sooooo much to learn but when I bumped into them as we were both leaving the fitting area these women were my age if not older. Seriously....my age! Wow. At this point in life you would really give up so quickly and settle for that kind of a life. Then I wondered would I? Wow. I realize the heart wants what the heart wants but at some point dumb ass has to play into it. I mean come on...what does she really expect to get out of that relationship? Clearly she is past child bearing age, she didn't seem particularly stupid although staying in that relationship is not the brightest move. What could she possibly be getting out of that relationship?

It must be a full moon or something because I just overheard this woman talking about her wedding that is coming up in Oct. and how much they have spent on it. JESUS GOD - $22,000 is the total. Say that with me $22,000. That's insane! That's the price of a car, or a mobile home....this is for ONE DAY! Her dress alone was $7,000. Who has $7,000 to spend on a white dress some one is going to spill food on or worse yet step on while you are dancing. Good Lord. I don't get it....what's wrong with eloping to Vegas?

The cost of being loved is really outrageous.

What are willing to give up to be in a relationship? I realize it's a form of give and take but it seems like some people are willing to pay a hefty price to be considered a couple. How much work is that to change yourself to fit into a "we". There is this older couple in my building who are always holding hands and I wonder - how do they do it. They seem to like each other, they appear to be happy, not like all giddy I'm in love happy, but content, satisfied, even comfortable happy. What is that secret? Did they have to get though all the drama and crap to get to that point or is there that one soul that you just fit with...that when you reach out your hand you don't even have to look, you just know theirs will be there. Sign me up for that.

1 comment:

Schnoodler said...

let me know if you figure it out.