Friday, September 5, 2008

There is no path. The path is made by walking.

That may explain why I can't ever seem to find this coveted path. This was an email quote I received today - it's funny how topical they seem to be. As I was leaving my apartment this am 2 cop cars and an ambulance were sitting right outside the front doors. It made me wonder whose life was in the process of changing...and probably as a surprise to them. I was thinking isn't is odd how quickly life changes...how fast the path your on seems to get covered with moss or overgrown with trees to the point that you can no longer even see the path you thought you were suppose to be on....paths....who said we have to be on one anyway?

I remember back to my high school days when it was career day...I thought back then that I would be a teacher, that I would have a classroom full of kids that adored me....isn't that funny. Of course being a teacher is rewarding in it's own rights I'm sure, when it came down to me really committing to that life I didn't...I got scared and stopped. Scared I'd never make it through school, scared I'd be a terrible teacher or worse yet, scared I'd be a teacher but the kids would all despise me...so in typical me fashion I talked myself out of that path. I still wanted to be with kids though so I nannied for several years. I loved it...the family mostly loved me but like any family, they had their dysfunction and the kids grew and soon they didn't need me either...that path ended. Then I was stuck...confused....I was in my early 20's, no education past high school and I was trying to find a job other than working at Sears selling maintence agreements (telephone sales) - ahh...where would the path next open up to me? My parents advice to me as I was ending my senior year of high school was not to waste my time with college. Can you imagine telling that to your child? Anyway, I of course listened and here I was, early 20's and no real options. What a path. I ended up going through a temp agency and they sent me here...where I have basically spent the last 20 plus years crawling up the corporate food chain.

Hmm, interesting path isn't it. I left once - it was a scary dark place out there and within a year I found myself back...back home? Well back here anyway. I don't regret it...I don't even regret leaving because I really learned alot about myself and my real value and I think about that alot. I did meet some really great people, some I still stay in contact with so overall really good. So as I pulled into my parking spot this morning I thought alot about where I am...where I want to be (still don't have that answer) and how I think I'm going to get there....don't have that answer either but I do know that I am done with school next year and having a 4 year degree had better be a freaking stepping place on my path or I don't know what I'll do. Is it possible to cut your own path through uncharted territory? The settlors did it so I suppose I could too.

Here is my thought from the Universe today as well...weird how it always ties into my own personal thoughts. Maybe the Universe is real?

Whenever your perspective on something creates emotional pain, it's always because your perspective is still so narrow that you've yet to see all the good it will make possible. Because it will.

No comments: