Friday, October 17, 2008

Beautiful on the inside?

Perhaps it's the full moon or just a off time for me but everyone around me seems to be getting to live the life I want. At work my co-worker is getting the opportunities I have been waiting for, hoping for and yet I sit on the side lines - invisible. No matter what I do or how much I say I'm here, I'm here...they just keep looking past me. In my personal life, everyone seems to be moving towards something or someone and here I sit.....waiting for something to come and it's like the parade keeps passing me by. I'm here, I'm here. Am I so invisible now that I can't even see myself? What is going on? And sweet martha above, if one more person asks me if the pretty girl is seeing anyone one more time I am going to lose it! What the hell?

What is beauty? Is it in the way a person looks? The God given flawless skin they were born with? The luck of the gentic pool they come from? True beauty is from the inside out. I've heard that a million times, but who really beleives it?

Carson Kressley and Tim Gunn both host shows that try to teach women that their true beauty lies within them. Interesting isn't it that these show are hosted by gay men for women? What do they know about the women folk that the women folk don't know about themselves? By society standards, beauty seems to be on the outside. What magazine or beauty contest idolizes a not so physically attractive person as a magazine cover girl or spokes model? Although I applaude the attempt to help women realize that true beauty lies within....who is going to teach that the general masses? If women become empowered enough to feel beautiful will that help change minds or sterotypes?

How many times have you seen someone walking around strutting their stuff and you can tell they are totally feeling like a rock star, even though in reality they probably aren't(by society's standards...not mine.) I say if you feel pretty - strut your bad self. I see it everyday at work...I understand that a nice pair of shoes can make you feel pretty but are there somethings that people shouldn't wear? Who gets to decide that? What is the definition of beauty?

I like to beleive their is a match for everyone out there in this big old universe....someone that completes you and makes you feel beautiful and special and perfect just the way you are - I need to beleive that, if I really truly think about it....I have to wonder if that really exists. Is there a ying for every yang?

All these thoughts are running through my head on the day before I perform my first marriage as an officiant. Maybe there is a tie in...no?

Who could ever learn to love the beast?

2 comments:

TT. said...

Those shows are hosted by gay men for two reasons. First, straight men generally don't see that kind of thing -- clothes, furniture, whatever -- except in terms of utility. When a woman asks them how a piece of clothing looks, the truth is, it all pretty much looks the same to them. Second, and this is really sorta just the first all over again, since gay men aren't concerned about the woman's headlights or hoohoo, they can actually concentrate on what the woman is wearing or what the hell is going on with her hair. Oh, wait, I just thought of a third: some gay men -- like Tim and Carson -- probably really wanted to play with dolls when they were growing up but weren't allowed to. Now they have these life-size dolls that they can dress up and display on national television. Incidentally, even tho I don't want to play with dolls or dress up grown women, I think Tim Gunn just rocks. I wish he'd invite us to brunch or something.

Schnoodler said...

I'll second TT's thoughts. I am mainly interested in headlights and hoohoo.