Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Feeling Included

Wow....a embarrassing thing happened - I happened to check my blog to see my postings and I didn't see my last two postings. I was like maybe I dreamed that I posted. I have my own personal blog and my work blog bookmarked and I realized for the last two days I have posted my own personal thoughts in the work blog. How embarrassing.

Yesterday I blogged about feeling invisible and although there is no reason I couldn't have left it out there I immediately deleted it. I had a rough morning yesterday and was feeling invisible both personally and professionally. After almost dying twice on the highway as two cars just decided they needed my lane and then the man who rushed past me to get in the revolving door before me, I was feeling invisible. Between that and work issues I was feeling invisible and wondered how one becomes visible again. What do you do to become visible? Glad I caught it before anyone else saw it...or did they? Either way it's fine, it wasn't inappropriate. Although today's post might have caused some "issues".

Today I blogged about the joys of feeling included....less invisible. I have come to the conclusion that texting makes me feel a part of something bigger, like I matter....less invisible. I received a text from a friend in Vegas late last night saying he was drunk and winning...although I have to question if he was drunk was he really winning or did he THINK he was winning...either way it was fun to be thought of.

I shamefully admit that I am rather addicted to texting. I enjoy it, I find happiness in it and I find that I can stay connected to many people with just a few words. I never understood the joys of texing before. My thought was just pick up the phone.....how hard is that? But now I get it. I love the fact that I can continue to do what I am doing while having little blurbs of conversation with others. I like the idea that someone takes the time to think of me and send me a comment, thought or picture. Less invisible.

It's fun to have my phone make that magical little sound that says someone has thought of me and is sending me a thought. It's fun...it's like multi-tasking on a personal level. I feel less confined and more open texting. I often say things I don't think I would say in person or in email...it's quick, short simple statements that often make me really happy. I also love the fact that I can say things using #'s or symbols. Example - C U 2 later @ the bar. So simple yet my message is clear. Ahh, the joys of texting.

I think I like it so much because I feel like its more personal, more intentional. Someone has to specifically WANT to contact you...they have to choose you, type out the message and send. Not like a phone call where you can have them on speed dial or an email that seems so much less personal and not as connected.....and like I said, I feel braver and more open when I text. Maybe it's just me but I get it now...I get the joys of texting. I had to change my plan last month because I had the 400 text messages plan and with 10 days left until the new cycle, I only had 7 text messages left. Ooops. I really do enjoy texing, so much so that I am considering upgrading my phone to one with a full texting keyboard. Isn't technology wonderful?

Feeling included is kind of what it's about - at least for me. We want to be included in work decisions, friends lives (isn't that what Facebook is about?) and just overall being connected to others and does it really matter in what format it is? Like this morning......as I approached my car to come to work I discovered it covered in toilet paper. High school prank maybe - but it gave me great joy. The pinched faced older woman that was in the parking garage with me would disagree but I found it hilarious! I had a goofy grin on my face my whole drive into work.

I realize it's probably in retaliation to another high school prank a partner in crime and I did last night but still it was unexpected and a fun way to start my day. It made me feel included...like someone took a perfectly good roll of toilet paper and covered my car. Nice. Now I just need to figure out who the culprit is and exact my revenge....high school pranks maybe...but who doesn't want to feel included?

Maybe that's the secret to feeling less invisible....to be included, to be a part of the bigger picture to feel like you matter. One has to put themselves out there and risk being excluded to be included.

Man it's hard being an adult..thankfully that doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

1 comment:

Schnoodler said...

I think invisibility is the super power. I don't think it would have been as meaningful to HP had he recieved a cloak of visibility. Your lucky to have mastered such a valuable skill. I wish I were invisible like you:-(