Thursday, October 23, 2008

What's in a name?

I wonder, if my name were something else would my life be any different? I mean if I had a stripper name like Desire would I be someone other than who I am? Does a name have anything to do with who you are?

When I was born I was named Victoria Lee. I don't know exactly how long I had that name before my mother decided that wasn't who I was. Would my life be any different if my name were something other than what it is? Do words or names make us anything different? I love being called Auntie. It brings me immeasurable joy and happiness. My 5 year old nephew (soon to be 6!) always calls me Auntie...but he doesn't always call my other sisters Auntie...sometimes he just uses their first names...same with my other nieces and nephews...but they ALWAYS call me Auntie. I love that. If someone calls you beautiful all the time...do you believe that? Do you become that? Or if they call you dumb or fat or whatever....do you become that?

Words have power. Sometimes we forget how much power they do have. I know when I've had a particularly bad day sometimes a kind word can make it better. Choose your words carefully. They also can leave a mark on your soul. I can remember things that were said to me in anger or thoughtlessness - they are etched on my brain forever. The care and feeding of humans is so delicate.

I get the thought from the Universe every day - today's was this:
Giving tells the Universe that you believe you are provided for. For even as you empty your purse, you fear not. The act alone is a demonstration of faith that you will remain whole, that your coffers will be replenished, and that love is what matters most. And for whomsoever believes these things to be true, it shall become their reality, and abundance shall be showered upon
them unceasingly, as if the heavens had opened up."

Wouldn't it be amazing if more people lived life like that...giving without expecting anything in return. To me giving isn't in physical things, there are ways to give without cost. Laughter, friendship, kindness, accepting.....all ways to give without cost.

Last night I worked at the ET (I heart E&S) and this young man stopped in to ask a question about the circuit training we offer and I must seem like the kind old lady that listens well because he started pouring out his sad little tale of his broken heart. He mentioned several times how he was writing a lot to try to get through this and it reminded me that we have the power to heal ourselves with words. It's cathartic to spill your thoughts out....like a dumping of the soul to get out all that is trapped inside and sometimes we are the better for it. We have to name it to claim it. Man....I should copyright that statement....maybe it already is and now I've just stolen it. Anyway, he thanked me when he was done saying that it felt really good to just talk about it. I couldn't sleep when I got back home last night. I just kept replayed a lot of his conversation in my head and thought I can't remember being that young and that broken hearted and yet so willing to talk about it out loud. He seems like such a wise and sensitive soul but if a break up after one year is going to leave him in such a tail spin he's got a long hard life ahead of him. I kind of wanted to wrap him in a blanket and keep him safe from the crazy world, but I think that's called kidnapping. :)

God bless parents. I give them a lot of credit. It's probably the hardest job in the world. Last night his couple came in with this adorable, high energy 4 year old named Rayvin. Yes I spelled it right...well at least how they spelled it. This little girl was so full of energy and so clearly craved attention but was the sweetest little thing.....she was I'm guessing living on a diet of pixie sticks and caffeine. She was amped up to the max but on the other hand so freaking adorable I really wanted to keep her. The parents seemed to be oblivious to their child most of the time, as they talked among themselves and little Rayven was forced to entertain herself and me. It kills me how adorable and open kids are, they never even think before they speak and they are so honest. She insisted that I write her name on her picture she was drawing. So I of course spelled it Raven - at 4 she knew her name was misspelled and had no problem telling me I was wrong. Honesty - it's kind of sad we lose that as we grow.

Does it really matter what your name is or what your called? Does it really have any effect on reality? If my name were Danielle or Gabrielle would my life be any different? I guess what matters is what you are doing with your life, and the people in it....names are meaningless.

2 comments:

TT. said...

So what a sec. Now that you're an adult, if someone spelled your name wrong, you wouldn't have the guts to tell them? Honestly, Dauhn.

mindy said...

OH MY GOD-I could have backed you up on your country album-Vicki Lee- It's MY LIfe

We must make a cover for that-you leaning against a tree with big hair a dreamy look and a blurry lens

Mindy